Friday, March 26, 2004

sports as a bridge

Knowing the interest among my co-workers, I made a point to note the results of the 5th cricket match between India and Pakistan. 'P' was amazed to find that I had sought out the news, so I was ready to share his joy when I saw him on Thursday. I still know nothing whatsoever about cricket, so my facts were sparse: the series was 5 one-day games, best three out of five, between India and Pakistan, played in Pakistan. The score was 2 to 2 going into the last game, so the stakes were high. The key player on India's team is named Sachin. P feels that Sachin is so adored that people would willingly die for him, if necessary. But the games (and the fans) were peaceful -- way better than anyone expected.

I am working hard to build bridges. Of course, the irony is that I've never been interested enough to even follow American sports. Each year I think that I'll at least keep straight which sport is the superbowl and which sport is the world series, but it doesn't stick in my head. I'm just not much of a sports person. (However, I would be glad to discuss the thrill of Mary Lou Retton's two-in-a-row perfect 10's, or the ice skating scandal with the French judge!)

All these years, I was afraid that that God would send me to Africa to eat bugs and learn some strange clicking language so I could communicate His love, and instead, he's sending me to NYC to supply snacks from Trader Joe's, and to talk about cricket.

And now for a piece of trivia. Did you know that the word for tea is pronounced the same way in Hindi and in Turkish?

No comments: