Saturday, July 03, 2004

God's fireworks

Last night God put on a light show!

I've never seen anything like it. I guess it was heat lightning. It was a dark, cloudy night, and the lightning was streaking back and forth between the clouds. It wasn't the king of huge bolts that light up the whole sky, and shake you to your shoes. Rather, it was a shimmering series of flashes, about one every two seconds, with no rain, and little noise. With each flash, the light radiated out and silhouetted the cloud in front. Occasionally the streak was in front of the cloud rather than behind it. I have no idea how close it actually was, but it looked as if it was about a block away.

Again and again and again. Dark sky, and then rays of shimmering light bursting out from behind the cloud, about every two seconds. At it's peak, it was nearly continuous. I stood on the sidewalk watching in awe. At one point, I counted 10 lightning flashes in 10 seconds. Tomorrow is the Fourth of July, but in my mind, no fireworks on earth will compare to this.

At first, some neighbors were watching with me, but then they went inside to see if there was anything about it on TV.

What a strange commentary on our society -- TV seems more real to people than the wonders of God that they see with their own eyes.

No comments: