Monday, December 06, 2004

Yikes - he thinks I know these things

Today 'P' came to me and asked if I had time to discuss a question that did not pertain to work. I said yes, and he said:
I am coming to you because you know about these things. How do you deal with anxiety?
[little did he know how true that is -- I'm anxious about everything! but I tried to answer] I have two things that I do. First, if I am very anxious, I take a deep breath.
Yes, that is why I have come right now. [He stopped and breathed]
And secondly I pray to God, and tell myself that I am in the hand of God, and nothing can happen that can take me away from the hand of God.
[He listened carefully, trying to understand.] Oh, that is because God is the strongest person, right?
Yes. There is no one stronger than God.
That is what my parents tell me -- I should have faith, and trust in God.
[Meanwhile, I'm wondering which God he is talking about, since he is Hindu, I believe. So I add something a bit provocative:] Have you ever thought about the fact that there is a difference between knowing about God, and knowing God?
[Suddenly he needed to leave.] All right, goodbye.
* * *
Pray for 'P'. Pray that he will start wondering what it means to know God.

No comments: