Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The Creator

Have you ever noticed how creative God is?

It's easy to see the hand of the creator when we look at the stars or a beautiful sunset, but I've been thinking about dirt. Dirt from different places is so different.That's something I notice when I travel. I come from New York, where dirt is dark brown. In New York, we assume that is the 'normal' color of dirt. And we also expect it to stay in its place. Unless you roll around on the ground, you don't really get dirt on you. You can even wear white clothes, and they stay white (unless you ride the subway, which really isn't God's fault).

Gardeners incorporate extra organic matter into the earth, of course, and then it becomes even darker, and sort of fluffy. And for some reason, they seem to like to smell it. I only like to smell dirt when there is a sudden thaw in the Springtime. That scent of melting earth is a sign to me that Winter is over.

Now I'm in Sedona, AZ, and the dirt is red. Kind of brick colored. For a short time after it rains, the earth is wet and slippery, but soon it dries out and becomes hard. And then red dust gets kicked up. Lots of people buy white cars (so they don't get so hot in the sun), but the cars don't stay white for long.

In Turkey, the dirt was tan. It was kicked up as dust, and hung in the air and lighted on your clothes and skin, and stuck there. I've been home over three months, and have worn my hiking boots through rain, sleet and snow, and I can still see the Turkey dust in the creases. I think of it as a free souvenir.

People who enter competitions to build sandcastles become experts on different types of sand. Some sand has larger grains, some sand has rounder grains, and it all makes a difference if you want to be able to build an elaborate edifice. Who would have known?

So what's the point of saying all this?
If I were creating the world, I would never think of all this variety. I would simply make one kind of dirt, and be done with it. But God is so creative that he didn't just make all kinds of plants and animals, he even made all different kinds of dirt. Imagine having that much excess creativity, that you invent countless kinds of dirt.

No comments: