Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Cross cultural life milestones

When you share the same culture with someone, it's easy to know how to respond to life milestones. But it's more complicated when they have a different culture. So I try to just respond naturally and hope it's ok. I'm always wondering how I can show the love of Jesus to my co-workers, and I'm afraid that I'll inadvertently do something rude.

Last week, 'R's wife had a baby. I was looking for 'S', so I marched into their shared office, and 'R' announced the news. He has a bit of an accent, so he had to say it 3 times before I understood. Then, in his effort to communicate he gestured to some Indian pastries on the counter and said 'that is why this'. I assumed they were to share so I picked one and took a bite. I have found that whenever I taste Indian food, my Indian colleagues stare at me intently. But this makes it hard to know whether they are staring because I am doing something wrong. Frankly, I'm still not sure whether the silver coating was intended to be eaten or not. It didn't really taste like a food product. To distract us all from the half pastry I was still holding in my hand, I asked what his daughter's name was. It was unfamiliar to me, so I asked what it meant and he told me it was the name of a goddess. I was overwhelmed with sadness for this little girl whose very sense of self would be connected with this goddess, but I didn't know what to say. So I finally just murmured that it was a pretty name.

And then there was 'P'. He came up to me, beaming, and announced that he was getting married. I congratulated him and reminded him that he had already told me. But after a bit of a confused interchange, I finally realized that he was differentiating between the fact that he had gotten engaged in February, but now he actually had a wedding date scheduled, for May. I was totally touched by the fact that he made a point of saying that I am the 2nd person in the U.S. that he had told, ahead of all his compatriots. He feels a connection to me. He is hungry to be wise, so I tell him stories about Biblical wisdom. He liked hearing about Solomon, for example.

I was still trying to figure out if it was an arranged marriage, but I wasn't sure if it was polite to ask. So I said, "have you known her a long time, or only just now". His answer was "not just now, I have been engaged since February". So I'm still confused. Then he mentioned that he is already feeling the responsibility that will come when he is a married man. He explained that in his country, you are expected to stay married and not get divorced, so it is a bigger responsibility than it is in the US. I was saddened to realize that he assumes the US is a Christian country, and assumes that fidelity is not a Christian value.

He will only be here for another 2 weeks, and then he returns to India. I need wisdom and discernment to be able to communicate to him something of the love of God.

No comments: