Sunday, June 26, 2005

The scent of summer

Have you ever noticed that various seasons smell different?

Winter smells clean, and sometimes prickly.
Spring starts with the smell of thawing earth, and then eases into the aroma of flowering bushes -- Lilac is my favorite.
Summer smells like cut grass, and if you're lucky, like Roses.
Fall used to smell like burning leaves (when it was still legal), but now tends to have a musty scent of rotting leaves.

There is a wonderful tree I pass on my way to work. It is fading now, but it has aromatic flowers that look like tiny little orchids. They strew the ground as if a profligate flower girl has escaped from a wedding. I have no idea what it is. I also like the fact that it flowers after all of the spring trees, but before the summer flowers really get going. It grows intertwined with a Maple, so I never even notice it until it is fully in bloom, and the aroma stops me and causes me to look around.

p.s. to anyone who drives down North village avenue, the tree is in between the tudor and the medical building. Do you have any idea what it is?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never gave much thought to the different scents of the seasons until you mentioned it. I guess I'm too busy rushing around from one thing to the next. I should probably stop occasionally to smell the roses--maybe I'll skip work tomorrow and go to the beach instead. For me, the collective olfactory impression of the beach, suntan lotion and the ocean is a sure sign of the scent of summer.