Wednesday, September 14, 2005

How do you reach out, without watering down the gospel?


I often get stuck on this question. How do you reach out, and find common ground, and show respect to the other person's beliefs, without watering down the gospel?

I've heard about the abuses that missionaries have committed in the past, where they were as vigorous about standing for Western culture as they were about the gospel. I remember in particular a story that is not especially important, but seemed really symbolic of the problem. A missionary visited a tribe, brought her own cultural mores, and left (I don't recall the circumstances). But the sad part is what happened when a new missionary came years later. The local people were shocked and suspicious of the new missionary, because she was evidently not a holy person. What were the grounds for this accusation? She wore the wrong kind of shirt. The previous missionary had been fond of a particular style, and had somehow communicated that this was the symbol of holiness.
So I can see the arrogance and stupidity in that, but I find it hard to understand what to do in real life.

What about visiting religious services in other faiths? How much can you participate? I know that I'm not likely to visit a seance, for example, (unless God specifically leads me to do so), but what about things that are not so overtly demonic? What about festivals for the earth goddess? What about non-Christian meditation? What about new age practitioners? Where do you draw the line between respecting them as a person and condoning what they are doing?

Usually I end up just standing with a sort of frozen smile while they tell me about whatever 'wonderful' thing they are involved with, because I'm trying to build a starting point of respect rather than argument. But then I wonder whether I'm just being a chicken. Maybe it's just an excuse on my part, and I'm actually afraid to share the Gospel. I have to admit that I'm truly not sure which it is.

When I read Paul's letters, it seems that he usually just jumped in with both feet (not worrying about his listeners' self-esteem as much as we do!) But then there was that time in Athens that he drew a parallel with their own beliefs.

Years ago, I read a book called Bruchko, by a missionary to the Motilone Indians. I read it about 25 years ago, so I probably have some of the details mixed up. He entered their culture, and spoke in analogies they could understand. For example, when he was trying to teach them to disinfect their huts, he told them that bleach would kill the evil spirits, and even showed them germs under a microscope, called them spirits, and said he could kill them. Clearly, God anointed his work, and there was terrific fruit. But I'm not sure what the best lesson is to learn from it.

Maybe it all boils down to learning to listen God, and be led by God, rather than copying someone else's technique.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your final sentence is the most important point. I don't see any Biblical command that we all need to argue with every person about every religious point on which we disagree. Some people may get somewhere with this approach, but I'm more comfortable asking another person about their beliefs and trying to be a good listener. I then feel it's appropriate for me to say something like, "That's interesting, although quite different from my own faith. In my church, we believe etc." Alas, I'm not sure I'm much of an evangelist, because I perhaps try too hard not to be pushy about my beliefs.

Anonymous said...

If we really look at the Gospels, we see that Jesus' funnel was very wide. If a person took a step toward him, Jesus treated him as though he were "in." Look at the Syro-Phoenician woman-- he commends her for her great faith though she is a pagan (idol worshipper). But as the marble rolls around the funnel, the circles get narrower, Jesus raises the stakes and some people decide to bail. I have blasted Christians for living together, but I would never do that to unbelievers or new believers. I like the "centered set" model: are we moving toward or away from Jesus? Jesus didn't call people to become "Christians" (with all the cultural baggage pertaining to that word); he called them to enter into the kingdom of God.

Anonymous said...

True, you have to ease people in and you can do that with out going against your own beliefs. If you remember to love people then you will be meet them at their basic level and work from there. Encourage the behavior that is in line with God and not put too much attention to the other stuff. eventually if they enjoy relationship with you you will see a gradual shift. The key to all this is relationship. Some times this is hard work but well worth it. then there are situatons where you may never see the person again... well here i would just lay it on the line plant A seed and trust God to grow the vine!!

Peter Fegan said...

Steve has a good point. I think we all have this idea that we need to be the disinfectant for all of society's ills. There was this movie many years ago starring Anthony Quinn as an eskimo. A missionary visted him and his wife in their iglo to bring them both the good news of Jesus. Now it was the tradition among the eskimos that a visitor would be allowed to "laugh" with the man's wife. This meant sleep with her. The missionary, incensed at this afront to his faith, ridiculed Quinn's character, calling it a sin. This angered him and in a rage Quinn attacks the missionary, killing him.
Now perhaps had the missionary not been so judgemental, the outcome would've been different. Imagine, for a moment, if instead of blasting the conduct as sinful - thereby demeaning the eskimo and his culture - the missionary tried a more loving approach like Jesus. Maybe he not only would've stopped the "sinful" behavior, but he would've claimed two souls for Christ.