Sunday, October 23, 2005

Flaky Intercession

I've been reading a lot about prayer lately. I find that God knows how to work with my personality (He should, He created me!), and since I am an 'information person', he often communicates with me by causing me to want to read about something. And then somewhere down the line I start wanting to bring it into real life. So as I said, I've been reading a lot about prayer lately (and have gradually been starting to actually pray more too).

The title of this blog is from a chapter of a book by Cindy Jacobs, called Possessing the Gates of the Enemy. The subtitle is 'a training manual for militant intercession'. I like the book because it gets very practical, and moves beyond the theoretical.

For some reason, I was especially taken with the chapter Flaky Intercession, which contains warnings about things to avoid, and advice about safeguards.

The first safeguard is spiritual accountability and submission. This goes counter to the American value of independence. Cindy Jacobs stresses that intercessors (especially prophetic intercessors) need to be in relationship with a local church.

The second safeguard is having a clean heart. It is so easy to fall into the trap of thinking that we know best, that the tendency is to overstep and let our pride in hearing from God distort our prayers until they are manipulative or critical.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is interesting, but we're still waiting to hear if "The Meaning of Tingo" is as interesting as it sounds.

Anonymous said...

I am too! I'm still waiting for the book to be released so I can get my copy.
It was curious that there was a language that had a word for the fear of running out of beer, but I would be interested in a culture with a word for the fear of running out of chocolate.

Anonymous said...

You mean endeiaxiocolatlaphobia?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, maybe that should be spelled endeiasokolataphobia

Anonymous said...

I fell for it both times.