Sunday, November 06, 2005

Another opportunity for humility


I guess I should have expected this. Last week I taught about the life and character of David, and I stressed his humility, and the need for us to learn humility ourselves, as an aspect of maturity.

So I shouldn't have been surprised at a perfect growth opportunity that came up this morning. Imagine another morning at the nursing home. I was busy setting up the mic and the music for the hymns, and the aides were wheeling in the residents. As they bustled back and forth I mentioned that I wouldn't be there next time, since I would be visiting my parents for Thanksgiving. And the next thing I knew, one of the old ladies yells out: "I really don't care!"

Everyone in the room froze, and then tried to shush her, but I just started laughing. If David accepted it when he was cursed by Shimei, the least I can do is accept it when I'm yelled at by a little old lady. Then again, the problem with humility is that as soon as you think you've got it, you don't have it.

Anyway, after that rather inauspicious beginning, I began to speak. I sort of fixed my attention on one lady who seemed especially alert and interested. I thought I was really getting through to her. At the end, when we went around praying for each one, I was pleased to greet her, only to find out that she doesn't even speak English. She simply has a face that looks friendly and interested, but she wasn't actually listening to, or understanding anything I said.

So I figure I'll redeem myself by singing her something in Italian, and the only thing I can think of on the spot is Caro Mio Ben (an aria I learned in college). I'm halfway through that when I vaguely realize that it's not especially appropriate, but decide that I might as well end the day with a splash, as I sing:
Caro mio ben,
credimi almen,
senza di te languisce il cor.

It's even worse in English:
My dear beloved,
believe me at least,
without you my heart languishes.

Anyway, she laughed, which was actually the high point of the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mean? No, why? Simple honesty is so refreshing and great.

An aria? I've always wanted to know the difference between a sonata, partita and a toccata.

Anonymous said...

My theory is that as we age our personalities get sort of concentrated -- so the sweet people get sweeter, and the argumentative ones get more argumentative, etc.

Anonymous said...

working in a hospital for many years i have noticed that theory to be true.