Saturday, January 28, 2006

A Literary Game


I was just browsing on Amazon, and I made up a game. Match the first line to the appropriate book:

FIRST LINES
1) "Divine movements have their birthplace in the heart of Deity..."
2) "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it..."
3) "Marley was dead, to begin with."
4) "Call me Ishmael,"
5) "This whole strange adventure got its start late one night when I was sitting in my study reading Life magazine, and turned a page..."
6) "As I walked through the church parking lot to my car, I wanted to scream..."
7) "To be able to look backward and say, 'This has been the finest year of my live' -- that is glorious!"
8) "The guard spat into the alley, but nodded quite kindly and allowed me to pass."
9) "I am disappointed with myself..."
10) "We today yearn for prayer and hide from prayer..."
11) "In the Beginning..."

BOOK TITLES:
A) A Christmas Carol
B) Chasing the Dragon
C) Savoring God's Word
D) A Tale of Two Cities
E) The Cross and the Switchblade
F) The Life you've always wanted
G) Practicing His Presence
H) Prayer: finding the heart's true home
I) I Saw the Welsh Revival
J) Moby Dick
K) The Bible

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm embarrassed to say I've read only half the books on the list. I know what I will be doing over vacation.

Anonymous said...

Chasing the Dragon, is of course Jackie Pullinger's story of missionary work in China.
Savoring God's Word is an introduction to various methods of Biblical meditation. I doubt any of it would be new to you, but I find it helpful when I'm trying to encourage people in this discipline. There is a chapter for each of several approaches (St Ignatius, Lectio Divina, etc), so people with various personalities can usually find something that resonates to them.
The Life you've always wanted is another easy-to-read book on bringing Christian life and real life into synch. Again, it is suitable for relatively new believers, or for those who are stuck. Ortberg suggests that rather than seeing the pressure points of our lives as excuses to avoid spiritual disciplines, we actually try using those very pressure points as our disciplines. So a harried mother of small children might consider her service to her family to actually be a spiritual discipline. A busy multitasker might be encouraged to take on a non-traditional 'fast', such as fasting from blowing the horn while driving.
You probably recognize the rest of the books...