Sunday, May 31, 2009

Re-entry


At home, I carry my suitcase through my apartment and out onto the terrace, then pull my clothes out and carry them directly into the washing machine. Anything that's not washable (such as my passport) I put in a ziplock baggie and put in the freezer -- I'm not suddenly getting eccentric, I just figure that if there are any bugs the cold will kill them. And then I put myself in the shower. YAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!

The next day is weird. By 9 o'clock in the morning I realize I'm in a different world.
  • Hot shower!
  • Clean clothes
  • Sleeping in a room by myself
  • Taking the train, and traveling in a seat rather than sitting on the floor
  • Stopping for a smoothie on the way to work, and being almost paralyzed at having to choose between 31 varieties
  • Opening the bag with my smoothie and finding that they gave me 6 napkins. 6!
  • Throwing the trash in a trash basket
  • I'm in public wearing pants instead of a long skirt.
  • Walking by thousands of people, but no one greets me. So one says 'Bon dia', or 'Salama Mama'. No one smiles. No one runs up and holds my hand.
  • I get to work, and enjoy the amenities of the ladies room -- hot and cold running water, and flush toilets, and abundant toilet paper.
I'm experiencing culture shock, and I still have to make it through the rest of the day.

1 comment:

Ray said...

Thanks for finally posting the rest of your story. I've been waiting many months for this. I hope you'll keep blogging.