Sunday, April 18, 2004

IT'S SPRING!

After a long, hard winter, Spring is here. But everyone I meet keeps saying "it's unbelievable". I look at it the other way -- I thought the winter was unbelievable. Today is an example of what is supposed to happen in Spring!

But all joking aside, it was a beautiful day, and I was so grateful. And then I thought about my own reaction, and realized that I need to exercise my awareness of gratitude. So I tried to be observant of God's good gifts today. And here is what I learned:

  • I am healthy and strong (when I walked into the nursing home this morning, on my own two legs, I was reminded to not take that for granted)
  • If you have a good personality, people will still like you even if you get old and lose your memory, and have no idea who they are.
  • Sometimes forsythia and daffodils are exactly the same shade of yellow.
  • Pink and red actually do go together after all -- when it is a pair of cardinals in a deep pink flowering tree.
  • Spring smells different from Winter. But it also smells different here from in the Adirondacks. In the Adirondacks, it smells like thawed earth. Here it smells like flowers.
  • Sometimes I just don't have the capacity to be grateful. Such as when the 75 year old man drove up on the sidewalk to ask me out. Sigh.
  • Ice cream is a wonderful gift from God. So it's important to eat it often, in order to be fully appreciative.

HAPPY SPRING!

No comments: