Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Bhagdad Burning excerpts from 2003

I want to share a few fragments from an Iraqi blog. This isn't my own writing. My point in highlighting this is not politics, rather it puts a human face on events on the other side of the world. Someone we can be praying for.

Excerpts from Bhagdad Burning blog by Riverbend (an Iraqi woman living in Bhagdad).

August 6, 2003
"For me, April 9 was a blur of faces distorted with fear, horror and tears. All over Baghdad you could hear shelling, explosions, clashes, fighter planes, the dreaded Apaches and the horrifying tanks heaving down streets and highways. Whether you loved Saddam or hated him, Baghdad tore you to pieces. Baghdad was burning. Baghdad was exploding… Baghdad was falling. April 9 is the American Occupation Day. I can understand why Bush was celebrating- I can’t understand how anyone who values independence would celebrate it."

Aug 22, 2003
"This war started out a war on WMD. When those were not found, and proof was flimsy at best, it turned suddenly into a “War against Terrorism”. When links couldn’t be made to Al-Qaeda or Osama Bin Laden ...it turned into a “Liberation”. Call it whatever you want- to me it’s an occupation."

August 23, 2003
"Before the occupation, I more or less dressed the way I wanted to. I lived in jeans and cotton pants and comfortable shirts. Now, I don’t dare leave the house in pants. A long skirt and loose shirt (preferably with long sleeves) has become necessary. A girl wearing jeans risks being attacked, abducted or insulted by fundamentalists who have been… liberated!"

"Before the war, around 50% of the college students were females, and over 50% of the working force was composed of women. Not so anymore. We are seeing an increase of fundamentalism in Iraq which is terrifying. "

Aug 28, 2003
"instead of bringing in thousands of foreign companies that are going to want billions of dollars, why aren’t the Iraqi engineers, electricians and laborers being taken advantage of? Thousands of people who have no work would love to be able to rebuild Iraq… no one is being given a chance. "

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok i have been reading her blog and she seems like an iraqi version of you!!!!! She is very detail oriented!!Darn i know i spelled that wrong.

Anonymous said...

it's funny you mentioned that, because I think that's why her blog touched me so much -- I could really identify with her.

I can imagine myself in her stories -- rushing to the computer to write her blog as soon as the electricity comes on; making up bogus eggplant emergencies just for an excuse to get outside; analyzing the pictures on the news to figure out what neighborhoods were being shown...

Anonymous said...

And if you notice on her blog...she even likes Dilbert.