Friday, August 10, 2007

Mango ministry

I have to admit, that I simply can't figure out the best way to relate to the people aroud me, who are from various countries, and practice various religions.
I want to reach out an be non-threatening, but sometimes I'm not sure if my restraint is due to my wanting to show respect and consideration, or whether I'm caving in to the political correctness of the age (and of the workplace).

The funniest thing is that I've ended up being the 'snack lady' at work. The reason it is funny is that on every possible measurement, I am totally deficient in the gift of hospitality. But food is such a good way to reach out, so I've gotten the habit of bringing treats for the guys at work, and listening to their preferences. I'm the person who doesn't know how to ask questions, so I often don't know even basic things like whether people are married or have kids, but I know what they like to eat.

Most of my co-workers are Hindu. Some are vegetarians, some eat meat (except for beef) and some are 'eggetarians' -- they don't eat meat, but do eat eggs and milk. They are all becoming vicarious fans of Trader Joe's. I alternate between bringing chocolate (which almost everyone likes, although the Indians don't like chocolate-mint), caramel cashew cookies ('K's favorite, but also enjoyed by many others), and the most unusual offering -- chili coated dried mango. This is 'H's favorite, since he doesn't care for sweets. The Americans generally don't like the chili-mango (actually, they won't usually even taste it). The Indians keep asking me where I get it from, which is how I know they really like it. 'S' is Chinese, and doesn't care for sweet snacks either, but his preference is salty rather than sweet, so occasionally I bring pretzels instead.

Sometimes I wonder why I'm doing this, but it seems like such a simple way to connect. And the other day I realized that the mango ministry was really making a mark. After making my rounds, one of the guys announced: "I think maybe you are an angel". I briefly considered whether this was an opportunity to correct some theology, but then realized that it was a better opportunity to simply say 'Thank you'.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann, you might try marketing a line of international snack foods to Citibank. Sounds like you'd make a fortune.

Anonymous said...

The guy you mentioned in your last paragraph was right! This posting and the one above it are lessons to all of us on how to minister to people from other cultures.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ray, you are too kind. I feel totally clueless, but I keep trying.

Anonymous said...

ohhhh Ann you say you are clueless but you connect with people on a very simple and sincere way!