Sunday, August 19, 2007

Yet another opportunity for humility

I was going to title this blog "another opportunity for humility", but then my computer informed me that I've already used that title. Perhaps someday I will become mature enough for all of these learning opportunities.

The famous heckler at the nursing home hasn't been there for a while, so I've become complacent. Preaching without anyone yelling 'Shut up!' is so much easier.

But whenever I think I'm coping well with the inevitable disturbances, I learn that we've only scratched the surface of the possible distractions.

First there was the week where the old couple in the back kept singing throughout the entire service:
Ann: Today, we're going to talk about Faith.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true
I'm half crazy, all for the love of you

Ann: Let's see what the Bible says
It won't be a stylish marriage
I can't afford a carriage

Ann:"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"
But you'll look sweet
On the seat
Of a bicycle built for two.

And so it went. I preached, and they sang. It made it seem kind of like a karaoke competition. The aides tried to shush them, but they were having so much fun I didn't have the heart to squelch them.

More recently, there has been a woman who is offended by the fact that it takes a while to get things started, as we have to wait until they've had a chance to wheel everybody in. Each week, her pre-service comments get bolder, and more pointed.

Woman in wheelchair, Week 1: I can't believe they make us wait. They are so rude.
Week 2: The least they could do is bring us coffee.
Week 3: I'd really prefer REAL church.
This is just makebelieve church.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know. But this is very true: James 1:2-4.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ann, you are so patient. I'd probably say something like, "Don't make me come back there!" or "Come on, you wanna piece of me?" It's things like this that remind us we're serving Jesus and not people. Bless you.