Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas


Sometimes it's hard to find Christmas in the middle of the political correctness, the materialism, and the Santa industry. Even Christmas carols are getting rare, replaced by seasonal jingles about reindeer, snow and chestnuts. I have to keep reminding myself that we are celebrating the miracle and the mystery of the incarnation.

As usual, I trimmed down my gift list by buying for only a handful of people, and giving the other people the honor of donations in their name to World Vision. This year we gave a pig, a sheep, an orchard, 5 ducks, a couple of chickens, a fishing kit, tools for farmers, and educational support. It's true that some of my friends are disconcerted to get a card rather than a coffee-table ornament that sings 'grandma got run over by a reindeer', but I figure that at least the ultimate recipients are happy!

Things at work get weirder and weirder. The place is so politically correct that it is almost a lampoon of itself. The invitation to our departmental holiday party included the lines:
So whether you celebrate Hanukkah, Diwali or Kwanza,
Come join our holiday extravaganza.

No one seemed to notice or care that something was missing. It is definitely considered insensitive and unprofessional to say Merry Christmas (although you can say anything else). Anyway, I finally figured out guerilla tactics to spread some Christmas cheer. I made Christmas cookies, and brought them in to share with my co-workers. I walked from desk to desk, offering the cookies and saying "would you like some Christmas cookies?" and they all eagerly tried them -- Hindus, Jews and Atheists all found that the word Christmas didn't choke them when it was the title of a cookie. And soon I found myself surrounded by a bunch of happily munching Hindus who politely responded:
"Thank you, Ann. Merry Christmas!"

No comments: