Saturday, December 15, 2007

More from Olga

Sometimes Olga is so perceptive it's scary.

I am studying to learn how to teach English as a foreign language. I have some vague idea that God can use this somehow -- maybe on a short term trip, or maybe working in some remote area for a year or so when I retire. I think about going as support staff for a missionary or something. But when I talk to 'normal' people, (i.e. nonbelievers), I say culturally normal things like "It's time to 'give back'".

The other day I was grumbling about being tired, and Olga asked me how class was going. The previous night we had looked at actual jobs in different countries around the world. I unaccountably found myself a bit disappointed because none of them were excessively remote -- there was one in China, but it was in Shanghai (a modern city). Anyway, Olga immediately picked up on my usage of the word 'remote', and said, "why would you go there?". I gave some vague, neutral answer, and she immediately figured out the sub-text.
Olga: "You have to be very careful in those places"
Me: "Oh, I don't know, I think I'll be fine".
Olga: "No really, those places are very bad for Christians to go to. You are probably planning on being a missionary or something. Let me tell you, that is very dangerous."
Me: (disconcerted that she has figured me out) "I'd be there as an English teacher"
Olga: "but your real purpose is to be a missionary, right? That is very dangerous"
Me: (wondering how in the world she figured this out, when I haven't even admitted it to myself yet) "It's not as if I'm going to be standing on a street-corner preaching -- on the other hand, I am who I am, and I bring that wherever I go".
Olga: "Oh, I get it. You will sneakily befriend them, and gain their confidence, and convert them to Christianity, and cause them to deny their heritage."
Me: (silence...I don't think of it that way, but it's sobering to hear what people think).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that Olga. She's a regular corker!