Friday, November 14, 2003

More about Personality

I'm still laughing about my profile characteristics. I confess, I like agendas. They help get the task accomplished. In fact, I even made an agenda for our toilet cleaning outreach tomorrow. OK, I realize that's a little excessive. But it satisfies me to know that we have a plan, and a schedule, and that we'll get our supplies, and by lunchtime we'll be DONE.

I'm the kind of person who will actually add tasks I've already completed to a list, just so I have the satisfaction of checking them off. I guess that's not too unusual (for people who even make lists, that is). But I also do a variation of that. Since my lists are always too long, and I never finish everything on this list, it is always a source of stress for me. So I compensate by adding even more items to the list, but things I know that I will complete, so that it improves my completion percentage. Sigh. Somehow, that didn't feel as obsessive before I put it into words.

What I really want to know is how to turn into the kind of person who still makes lists, but whose lists are human sized, so they actually get finished. That would be perfect.

Even though I'm an 'Inspector' according to Myers Briggs, in some ways (or on some topics) the description I resonate to even more is 'Mastermind', but the name is impossible. Can you imagine me walking around whining that I'm really a mastermind, but the test came out wrong? That sounds like a sociopath in a bad movie. The part about alternate plans is totally me. After all, how many people even know about (much less care about) the difference between risk mitigation and contingency planning? And I'm definitely a 'system builder', and 'perfectionist', with lack of understanding of social rituals, and a need for privacy. On the 'Inspector' side, I can see myself in 'dependable', 'responsible', and 'trustworthy'.

No comments: