Wednesday, January 14, 2004

One man's litter is another man's question

We've been having a cold spell, with weather in the single digits.
So today, walking from the train to work, there was hardly anyone else on the sidewalk (unusual for Queens, at rush hour!) For some reason, the lack of people made me especially aware of the litter.

  • Crushed coffe cups (especially the ones from the diner, with that fake Greek lettering).
  • Snapple bottles in every flavor.
  • Bacardi, Wild Turkey, and other liquor bottles.
  • Various soda bottles and cans.
  • Automotive supplies
  • A bag of Wise potato chips
  • A single glove

But that's not what caught my attention. While the litter is annoying, those things are not puzzling. What caught my attention were the things that had a missing story.

  • The beaded automobile seat cover. I've always thought those would be uncomfortable, so I'm not surprised that someone would throw it out, but I'm trying to imagine the situation -- did someone actually pull it out from underneath himself while driving, and throw it out the window?
  • The blender. Actually it was only the base of a blender. I just can't figure out the scenario. If you were going to throw it out, why not throw it out at home? Why take it for a walk first?
  • The underpants. Did I mention that it's about 8 degrees out? I'm wearing long johns, and slacks, and a turtle neck shirt, and a sweater, and a fleece shell, and a down jacket with a hood, and gloves and a scarf and a hat, and two pair of socks and boots. Even if I felt some inexplicable urge to discard my underwear, it would take about 15 minutes to remove enough layers to reach it.
  • The Christmas Tree. It's not that it's so unusual -- January 14th is still somewhat seasonal. It's that I couldn't resist feeling the needles, and they were still soft and pliable. How in the world did someone keep a Christmas tree all this time, without having it turn dead and crisp?
  • But I didn't see one of my frequent puzzlements. I've never understood the provenance of single shoes by the wayside. I mean, how can you not notice that you are missing one? And if you suddenly decide that you hate your shoes, or they are uncomfortable, why not get rid of both?

But best of all, why not throw the trash in the trash can?

No comments: