Friday, January 02, 2004

Goldilocks and scratch and shep

The cultural gulf seems especially wide today. It's sort of like stepping off the dock into a canoe, and if you don't do it right, the canoe starts drifting, and your legs get wider and wider apart...

I was so proud about my little story about using Christmas cookies made from scratch as a conversation starter about Christmas traditions. And then my parents told me that as far as they are concerned, 'scratch' is what you feed chickens, and maybe my co-workers thought I was making cookies out of chicken feed, and that is why they said they had never eaten that before. Oh well.

And today, I was in a testing meeting. One tester had been complaining (legitimately) that a certain function was capturing too many data errors for him to tell if the application worked. So we fixed that and were eagerly looking for his reaction. On Friday, he said that he thought it looked suspicious because there were no errors at all. And I jumped in and said he sounded like Goldilocks. It reminded me of the porridge being too hot or too cold. Well the entire room fell silent, in confusion. Apparently no one knew the story. Anyway, I didn't have time to clear it up, because I was leaving to go to a rehearsal for Amahl and the Night visitors. And since I had mentioned my plans to one of the Englishmen, as I was rushing out he 'helpfully' explained that I leaving so I could go be a shepherd. That would have been bad enough, but actually, what he said was, "Ann has to go shep".

I suspect that I'm the one who appears exotic.



No comments: