Friday, December 26, 2003

Whatever is True

I'm embarrassed at how surprised I am when God answers prayer!

I prayed that I would be able to start building a bridge over the cultural gaps at work, and all of a sudden, the whole tone has changed. In the past week there were three new bricks added to the bridge.

On two occasions, a co-worker used an example from Indian mythology as an analogy to explain a situation at work. But it seems that 'mythology' sometimes means an old saying. So already I have learned something. For example, P. told me that there is a story in their mythology that says when one person says something, no one pays attention, but when more people say it louder, then it is listened to. Well, that certainly explains some events on this project -- I was the one person saying it softly. It was a good analogy to the situation. And it opens the door for cultural conversations.

And today, the nicest thing happened. On the monitor for my computer, I have taped a little card where I printed out Philippians 4:8

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

P. was working with me at my desk, and suddenly noticed this verse, and was very taken with it. So he started declaiming it out loud. He read it beautifully, and loudly! So today, the day after Christmas, the sounds of the gospel were heard ringing down the hallway.

I was intimidated and frustrated by last quarter's classes on Acts & Missions. I felt totally incompetent to even have the social ability to cross a cultural gap. But the class brought me to the point of recognizing my need, and asking God for help. And I think I am experiencing God's grace, and He is teaching me how to take baby steps.

No comments: