Monday, December 15, 2003

More thoughts about multi-culturalism

Every once in a while, something happens at work that reminds me of how multicultural the department is. The day before Thanksgiving, one of my co-workers asked me if there was any meaning or origin to the holiday. And I suddenly realized that he didn't grow up sitting around the table at Thanksgiving. He doesn't have a family tradition of what kind of stuffing to cook, or whether or not the sweet potatoes have marshmallows on top. He never dressed up like a pilgrim in third grade. I gave a rather lame explanation, but afterwards I realized that all American holidays might be opportunities for conversation.

The firm is so politically correct that I'm afraid to initiate any conversations, or even to ask sincere questions about their culture. So I need to get better at responding to openings when they ask me something. Occasionally they will ask me a question about American culture or religion. But most discussions are work related. Maybe I can learn to run with those questions, and engage in an actual conversation.

Many of my co-workers are vegetarian. They generally eat eggs and dairy products, but not meat or fish. Most wear Western clothes (although the women occasionally wear Saris), but some have dots or other designs on their foreheads and/or scalps. I assume that many are Hindu, but I don't really know. And the most confusing thing is the way they rock their heads from side to side to indicate 'yes'. It's funny, because we don't realize that responses such as nodding or shaking the head are not instinctive, but are actually learned behavior. I'm always afraid that I'll inadvertently do something offensive. So I bend over backwards to be respectful and polite, and I'm afraid that it will come across as fake.

I need God to soften my heart, and give me a true love for those around me.

No comments: