Monday, December 01, 2003

Acts & Missions - Recap

The final exam is tomorrow, and my head is in a whirl.

There are the things I'm studying for the test, and the things I've actually learned. In a perfect world, these would be identical sets.

Here's what I'm studying right now: the places (and verses) where Paul learned certain missionary lessons.
Here is what I've actually learned: that nothing should be a hindrance to preaching the gospel.

What I'm studying: That of the 12 purposes for signs in mission work, 5 of them have keywords that start with the letter 'P'.
What I've learned: "People's amazement is not the faith, but may lead to faith". Or may not.

I'm studying: the essential nature of missions, in the ministry of Jesus.
I've learned: that while my personality is ill-suited to cross-cultural ministry, I need to pray that God would give me grace to be fruitful in my current environment. Without traveling more than my daily commute, I'm surrounded by people who were born all over the world. I would be surprised if more than 20% of my co-workers are American. For some reason, it wasn't until the end of this quarter that it suddenly occurred to me that the very situation in which I was complaining about being a minority, could actually be something God had planned. How could I have been so blind! And what will I do now? Help! I need grace!

No comments: