Monday, December 15, 2003

I hate to fly

It always seems implausible to me that a jet plane can actually stay up in the sky. I know intellectually that it is safe, but it doesn't feel safe. Usually, I make it through by reminding myself that thousands of flights arrive successfully every day. But in bad weather, the possibilities of disaster overwhelm me.

Last night, my flight was turbulent. Due to heavy winds (not even mentioning the rain in the sky and the snow on the ground), the pilot had the flight attendants strap themselves in for almost the last hour of the flight. And as I experienced the swooping of the plane, and heard and felt strange sounds and vibrations, I became more and more scared. And yet I knew that it was irrational -- not just because of the industry safety record, but because I'm a child of God, and know that my life is in His hands. I knew that He has the power to calm the storm, that he has the power to safely land the plane even without calming the storm, and that even if the plane didn't land safely, that my eternal destiny is assured. But I was still scared. So prayed, but I was still scared. So I tried to distract myself by working on my next Bible memory verse. Ha! Irony of ironies, I was on Ephesians 4:14.

Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.

No, I don't think the verse was meant to apply to plane travel, but I also don't think it was a coincidence. I think it was meant to remind me that I have a long way to go to maturity, and that growth is not easy.

No comments: