Saturday, February 14, 2004

I'm feeling grateful

God has blessed me with an amazing gift. I ended up with a huge travel gift certificate. I couldn't believe it at first, but it seems true. So I'll be going to Turkey next Fall. And the most fun thing is that I was able to invite a friend. It's really odd to have the opportunity to be generous when it doesn't cost anything. Somehow, it feels almost illicit, to give something I didn't have to buy. But in any event, I'm so thrilled that 'L' can come.

And now I've developed an obsession to learn about Turkey, and I'm finding that I was rather oblivious to the incredible history, mainly due to the fact that the country only got the name 'Turkey' less than a century ago. I hadn't quite connected the fact that references to Asia Minor are talking about places in Turkey. I'm looking forward to seeing Antioch, and Harran, and Ephasus, and Cappadocia, and Iconium. And to traveling on a traditional Turkish boat. Of course, I'm hoping that I don't get seasick.

But mainly, I'm just thrilled that God has worked this out.

The reaction of my friends is funny. Some are thrilled for me. Some are jealous. And some can't imagine why I want to go.

No comments: