Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Do you ever wonder?

A friend of mine recently went to London on a business trip, and enjoyed walking through all the wonderful historic churches. He encountered one I had never heard of: St Andrew-by-the-wardrobe. (The hyphens are apparently part of the name). Clearly, Andrew must have been a popular saint's name, in order to require such a distinctive qualification. So I wonder, WHY was he called that? How long was he by the wardrobe? Maybe he wanted to be a pole sitter but had a fear of heights, and tried to start a new discipline, but it never caught on. If you know the answer to this one, please tell me.

Well, after getting Andrew-by-the-wardrobe stuck in my brain, I was suddenly noticing saint's names all over the place. For some reason that I cannot explain, I was browsing through the yellow pages one day, and started reading all the church names. I was delighted to find that right here on Long Island we had our own distinctive name: Our lady of Peach. It reminded me of the legend that puts Mary in Ephesus in her later years, and about the fact that Turkey has wonderful aromatic peaches, and I was trying to recall whether any of the icons in Ephesus showed Mary holding a peach. Of course, a few hours later I realized that it was a typo, but I sure enjoyed it while it lasted.

Moving from the sacred to the secular, there's another thing I wonder about TV commercials. Who chooses the music that goes with them? There was one a little while ago that played Carmina Burana. I don't remember what the Ad was for, but I found the music an odd choice. If you are not familiar with it, here is an English translation of one of the verses in the first movement:
Fate is against me
in health
and virtue,
driven on
and weighted down,
always enslaved.
So at this hour
without delay
pluck the vibrating strings;
since Fate
strikes down the strong man,
everybody weep with me!

Why would anyone want to buy this product?

And a more recent commercial that bugs me is the Toyota ad that uses an arrangement of What Shall we do with the Drunken Sailor. Who thinks these things up? Should we really be singing about drunken sailors when buying cars?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think St Andrew is THE St Andrew, and perhaps the church got that name because it was next to the King's tailor, or something?? Like St Martin's-in-the-Fields (there used to be fields all around it).

Anonymous said...

For the latest ad using Carmina Burana, see
http://www.bigad.com.au/
This ad has new words; I wonder what Carl Orff would think. It's pretty funny, and probably the most accurate ad I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a sharp contrast to what I did on my business trip in London. Checking out the local pubs instead of admiring the old churches.

I did a little research, here is the answer to your question:

In 1361, King Edward III, moved his formal clothing, armor and his stuff, from the Tower of London to a place just north of the church.

The church took on the name "by the wardrobe", because it was in close proximity to this wardrobe storehouse.

Unfortunately both the wardrobe and church were destroyed in 1666 by the Great Fire of London. The church was then rebuilt in 1695, but then underwent heavy damage during World War II.

Anonymous said...

Anne only you would notice these things!!! If ever i need someone to read my fine print i lnow who to count on for the job!!! gotta love ya! :o)