Monday, August 22, 2005

I didn't know I needed that

Have you noticed the items for sale that you never knew you needed? I have to admit that sometimes I'll see something that I never saw before, and suddenly I develop a need to try it out. (The Mr Clean magic eraser comes to mind -- it really does clean marks on the wall). But then there are the items that I don't need, I don't want, and I don't understand why anyone is buying them.

  • Premade, frozen peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches. I do realize that one of my very best friends thinks these are wonderful, but I still don't get it. Maybe its because I like the version I make for myself: toasted multi-grain bread, macadamia and cashew nut butter, and raspberry jam. Yum!
  • Premade jello. When you make it at home, the entire recipe consists of boiling water and stirring. So buying it already made baffles me.
  • frozen yogurt and ice cream for DOGS! This is the item that gave me the idea for this blog. I don't know about you, but my freezer does not have any extra room for doggie ice cream. I've got regular ice cream, lime ice pops, and soy ice cream, as well as some leftover Italian ices from my last kinship, and that uses up my allocation of ice cream real estate.
  • Candle warmers. These take a little explanation. The purpose is to warm up the candle so the aroma comes out, and you don't need to burn the candle. Considering the fact that I'm always seeking for pretty unscented candles to burn, the idea of doing the reverse puzzles me.

I bet you can think of some more contenders for this category -- I didn't know I needed that!...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave Barry has the best collection of items for this category, which he gathers each year. See
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/
Many of these are so bizarre that's it's hard to believe they're all real, but they are.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that the ice cream for dogs has information in braille on the package, apparently under the assumption that this is a critical need for blind customers. I'm still not sure how they are supposed to find the package in the first point.

Anonymous said...

well ann i suppose the seeing eye dog that gets them around will march them right over to the doggie icecream section when the craving hits them!!! :o)