Thursday, August 04, 2005

A third conversation with 'J'.

I missed an opportunity today to pray for someone. I can think of lots of excuses, but the fact remains that I missed an opportunity.

'J' is a neighbor of mine. Other than saying 'Hi' when we pass each other in the parking lot, I've only had two actual conversations with her before today.

This afternoon, my doorbell rang. That's pretty unusual for me. I was surprised to find that it was 'J'. I didn't understand what she wanted. She invited herself in, and I was sort of taken aback, but said ok. She asked whether I was on vacation (since I'm not usually home in the afternoon), and I explained that I was recuperating from major surgery.

She immediately jumped in with her story -- a long list of vague physical complaints that have all subsided except for indigestion. She speaks in a verbalized stream of consciousness, like the world's longest run-on sentence. She asks questions but doesn't pause for a response.

And I didn't feel well and I went to the doctor and he said I was fine and he did tests and he said I was fine did that ever happen to you? and then I felt better except I still have a burning pain in my stomach, and he said it's stress, can stress cause that? and he said I need to see a therapist, do you think I should? and he said I can take tums, did you ever take tums, and I went to a health food store and asked them I guess they should know what they are talking about and they gave me some stuff and what if something is really wrong can stress cause this and I don't know what to do!

At that point she started crying, so I got up and gave her a hug, and had her sit down, and tried to find out what she wanted. I suggested that she try following her doctor's instructions. But I was still to confused at what she was doing there to realize that what I should have done was offer to pray for her.

As she was walking out the door, she suddenly asked me what church I went to, and I invited her to visit, and explained that after each service there is an opportunity to receive prayer. But I blew my own opportunity to pray with her right then. Oh well. I was taken aback by some of the odd things she had said (which I haven't even included here), and I just wasn't thinking.

So you guys can be praying that I'll get another chance to minister to her. And also pray that I have the grace to handle it well, because she kind of drives me crazy.

No comments: