Tuesday, April 26, 2005

...and sell them to you

My friends know that I have a very literal mind. Rather than interpreting what is intended, I read what things actually say. This stands me in very good stead at work, where it allows me to notice ambiguities in business requirement documents. I can then get the documents corrected before the programmers (who also think literally) code what was asked for, rather than what was intended.

But in real life it's sometimes funny, and sometimes confusing, when I read what was stated, rather than what was meant.

"Police do not park here". But everyone else does?

"Stop smoking here". To me it sounds like its a command to not smoke here. But then I realized it was an invitation to join a program.

Sometimes it happens verbally too. The other day I was in a store and a woman came up to the cashier carrying a case of Poland Spring water. She proudly showed it to a friend, boasting about the good price, and commenting on how much her kids like it. "They drink it like it's water". Lady, it IS water!

But my all time favorite was a sign on the wall of a peach farm out East. The sign described in great detail all the steps from tree to market, and why the peaches were unusually good. After detailing the hand picking and sorting, it ended: "...we pick out the bad ones and sell them to you."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok im sure if this is relevant but my favorite sign was one i saw in a small california town up in the mountains. the sign said ' haars radiator repair. the best darn place in town to take a leak!