Thursday, April 28, 2005

Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Job

Last night I taught a VLT class on Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Job.

There was a lot of energy in the room, spiced up with a little bit of spring fever, and some classic good humored attempts to fool the substitute teacher. But I did find myself grateful for some totally unrelated experiences which were suddenly standing me in good stead.

I had a flashback to an evening about 18 years ago, when I was babysitting the children of the pastor, and they were testing my limits by making up stories of how late they could go to bed. Nope, I didn't fall for it 18 years ago, and I didn't fall for the '45 minute break, and end at 9pm' ploy last night. Sorry guys.

Then I was reminded of the nursing home. After dealing with sleepers and the senile, a little bit of class rowdyness is totally not a problem for me. I've been heckled by a 90 year old demented woman in a wheelchair, so a little bit of whispering (and even some uncontrollable giggling) isn't a big deal.

And then we got to the topic at hand: Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, and Job. Normally you would think this would be rather heavy, but there were moments of levity. The class performed a skit based on the book of Job. Their natural sense of drama brought a whole new flavor to the book. Satan hid in the closet. Job's friends spoke with Hebrew, Yiddish, and Brooklyn accents (or something like that). Job protested at being unfairly accused.

I bet that when Steve Robbins gave us the assignment to write one-sentence summaries of the paragraphs in the book of Ephesians, he didn't realize what would happen if I tried the same exercise on the book of Job. Except it sort of turned out about a sentence per chapter, and inadvertently I ended up writing a skit. Of course, it loses all the grandeur of "where were you when I created the heavens and the earth", but gains in pungency. But it was really the accents that carried it. Thanks guys!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well thank you ann for a very enjoyable class!!!!

Pat L said...

Hi! I'm the overactively typing blogger who's been sitting around you the last couple days at the Columbus conference. Just wanted to stop in and say 'hey'!

Pat
VLI '03 grad

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat,
It was great to meet you at the conference. Are you planning on posting your conference notes? Can you send the URL? thanks/