Monday, April 04, 2005

Lessons from John Paul II

The pope died this weekend. I figured that it would be appropriate to say something about this at the nursing home.

Towards the end of the service, I started talking about the lessons from his life, especially his work towards unity, for example his condemnation of anti-semitism. And then I spoke about his last days, and his reported serenity in the face of death. Usually, people sleep or chat while I'm speaking (it's a good lesson in humility). But suddenly you could have heard a pin drop, and people were really listening.

I asked them if they had that serenity. I asked if they wanted that serenity. I preached about the resurrection, and the truth that it is in the power of Jesus' resurrection that we gain eternal life. I offered a way to obtain that serenity. And finally, I led them in the sinner's prayer. I know that many times they repeat prayers just out of habit or obedience, but I was astounded at the groundswell of response. It seemed that the whole entire room was responding:

Father God, I'm sorry for my sins...

Wouldn't it be a nice epitaph for the Pope, if his example actually led them into the kingdom?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awsome story!!