Wednesday, April 06, 2005

strange bedfellows

In these days following the death of the Pope, I've been interested to read about his many accomplishments. I'm most impressed by the ability he showed to inspire passion in the youth, and in his demonstrated desire for unity -- shown especially in his efforts towards reconciliation with Eastern Orthodox Christians, and with Judaism.

Beliefnet (an odd, eclectic website honoring various types of spirituality as diverse as Paganism and Zoroastrianism) has an article compiling statements from various world leaders and groups, concerning their reaction to the death of the pope. Amazingly diverse people had uniformly glowing responses to the life of John Paul II.

The two people I noticed who damned with faint praise have probably never appeared side-by-side in print before this very sentence. Are you ready? Representatives from Catholics for Free Choice, and the Taliban. Strange bedfellows indeed.

My main reason for visiting Beliefnet is that they have some funny (clean) religious jokes. They also have some catchy questionnaires, which are a little addicting until you realize that they aren't really that good. Either that or I'm in the wrong church -- all this time I thought I belonged in the Vineyard, and now I'm told that my beliefs match 100% to Orthodox Quaker, instead.

No comments: